Product liability lawsuits concerning Bayer's Mirena intrauterine device (IUD) have been popping up in recent weeks. The IUDs are advertised as a safe, effective form of birth control, but many women are alleging that the device has caused a variety of serious side effects that weren't properly disclosed.
The lawsuits allege that the Mirena IUD caused the following health problems:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Embedment of the device into the uterine wall
- Perforated uterine wall
- Perforated cervix
- Infertility after removal of the IUD
- Ectopic pregnancy (fertilized egg growing outside the uterus)
- Intrauterine pregnancy (pregnancy despite the presence of the IUD, or wrongful birth)
Many women understand that contraceptives, including IUDs and birth control pills, carry a risk of side effects. However, when medical device manufacturers such as Bayer fail to disclose the full range of potential complications, women cannot make a fully informed decision and may choose a contraceptive method that's not right for them.
If you or your spouse has been seriously harmed by the side effects of an IUD, contact an experienced Ohio defective medical devices lawyer to explore your options.
Source: The Legal Examiner, "More Women Claiming Injuries From Bayer's Mirena IUD," Eric Chaffin, Sept. 4, 2012